Constrains imposed by the sequencing of classes imply that applications are accepted only for the fall semester of each year. The Fall 2023 application is currently open. The deadline to be granted full consideration for departmental funding is February 01, 2023. The deadline to be guaranteed full consideration for admission is May 1, 2023.
To be submitted directly by the student in the online process:
- Statement of purpose – use form available in the application website
- Contact information of three reference Your references will be contacted by the office of admission and requested to upload a letter of recommendation.
- Application fee – paid at the time of completion of the online application
*** The University does not offer application waivers based solely on financial hardship.***
Supporting documentation directly submitted by other institutions:
- Official transcript from EACH institution of higher education sent directly to the Office of Admissions – 1062 Campus Delivery Fort Collins, CO 80523-1062
- Official TOEFL score – sent to Colorado State University, institutional code 4075. Students whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language and score at least 550 on paper-based exams and 80 on computer-based exams with no sub-score below 19 (22 for writing section). Alternatively, a student can take the International English Language Testing System and score at least a 5 with no sub-score less than 6.0. Exceptions to the TOEFL or IELTS requirements are granted when a student received a degree from an English-speaking higher education institution. You should not delay submission of your application waiting for test scores to be reported as they will be applied to your record once received.
*** The requirement for English as a foreign language test score cannot be waived.***
- Official GRE scores – sent to Colorado State University Office of Admissions, institutional code 4075. The Graduate Record Examination is required of all M.S. and Ph.D. applicants. There are no minimum score requirements and the requirement for GRE scores will not be waived—the admission committee considers the whole dossier. You should not delay submission of your application waiting for test scores to be reported as they will be applied to your record once received.
Admission to the graduate program depends upon acceptance by the department’s Graduate Studies Committee and the CSU Graduate School. Students with degrees equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree are qualified to apply for admission to the graduate program, though exceptions are made for otherwise highly qualified students. Generally, a minimum 3.0 grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) and some background in economics and quantitative methods is preferred. The coursework most predictive of success in our Master of Science program is intermediate or higher-level undergraduate courses in microeconomics, econometrics, statistics and mathematics. Students with other backgrounds are encouraged to apply, provided they demonstrate a solid grasp of quantitative methods and logical thinking (e.g. high GRE scores, especially quantitative reasoning). Ph.D. program applicants who already earned an M.S. degree can transfer up to 30 credits in coursework towards the completion of their doctorate, 72 credits.
Fellowships, assistantships, scholarships and other forms of financial support are awarded on a competitive basis. Your general application also serves as the application for an assistantship within the Department. Students with a GPA of at least 3.5 and an economics background are typically most competitive. While there are no specific guidelines for GRE scores, students receiving assistantship offers usually have scores above the 70th percentile. Research and teaching assistantships pay for 20 hours of work per week and may include a tuition waiver. If you are admitted without funding, which is indicated in the Graduate School admission notice and via department correspondence, you should ensure that you have sufficient financial means to support yourself over the course of your degree before joining the program. Current tuition rates may be found at: https://financialaid.colostate.edu/media/sites/38/2022/07/Graduate-Base-Tuition-and-Fees.pdf.