About Agricultural & Resource Economics
Mission, Vision, and Values
We are a diverse group working in nearly every area of agriculture. Considering how we make decisions and think about agriculture and natural resources at every level of economics, education, and policy is our primary contribution to agricultural sciences.
Learn more about how we integrate our mission into our values and strategic goals. Consider how you can be part of our mission.
DARE’s mission is to improve the societal well-being of the people of Colorado and beyond by creating and sharing tools and information aimed to solve economic, managerial, educational, and policy related problems within the agri-food and resource systems. We deliver value by means of disciplinary and multidisciplinary research, undergraduate and graduate education, and extension and outreach programming, helping to guarantee safe, secure and sustainable agri-food and resource systems.
Over the next 5 years DARE aims to accomplish the following:
- Research: Enhance our reputation among academic, industry and policy stakeholders as a departmental unit that collectively is among the leaders in the fields of: agricultural education, rural economic development, food system economics, water resource economics, and the economics of energy and climate.
- Undergraduate Education: Become a nationally recognized program that attracts a diverse pool of students by providing high-quality mentoring while training the next generation of agribusiness professionals, agricultural educators, and natural resource economists.
- Graduate Education: Be recognized as a department that provides world-class/cutting edge training that places graduates in world-renowned academic, private sector, and government institutions.
- Extension and Outreach: Become the go-to, most valued and responsive source of information for stakeholders throughout Colorado and the rest of the world.
- Community, Diversity and Departmental Culture: Build upon an already existing work environment that fosters a diverse set of viewpoints and inspires collaboration within the Department, broader CSU community and beyond. DARE aims to continue to be a desirable, inclusive, enjoyable workplace that rewards excellence in teaching, research, and outreach.
DARE’s mission is rooted in, and our efforts driven by, the following shared values:
- Research: Developing new knowledge through high quality, rigorous and relevant disciplinary and multidisciplinary research.
- Undergraduate Education: Communicating and transferring knowledge through rigorous, yet engaging, teaching programs that produce well-rounded, career-ready students.
- Graduate Education: Training the next generation of educators and scholars in the fields of agricultural, environmental and natural resource economics, and agricultural education.
- Extension and Outreach: Creating impactful, informative, and innovative outreach programs that are responsive to the needs of our stakeholders.
- Community, Diversity and Departmental Culture: Establishing and fostering a diverse environment which respects, values and seeks out a wide range of opinions/perspectives.
Faculty and Staff
We are a unique team in Agricultural Sciences, dedicated to fostering a greater understanding of our role as economic and educational stewards of agricultural sciences.
Solving complex, global problems is difficult and recognition for our hard work is a gratifying reminder of why we love to do what we do.