Do You Want to Improve and Understand the Role Insects Play in the Sustainability of Our Food Systems, and Natural Resource Management?
Students who minor in entomology will learn the basic and applied science of the study of insects and other arthropods such as ticks and mites. Insects are the most numerous and diverse life on earth and they are essential components of virtually every terrestrial and aquatic ecosystem.
Whereas human society benefits directly and indirectly from the varied roles of the vast majority of insects such as pollination, some species may become limiting factors in the production, processing and storage of our food and fiber crops, and to the health of humans and animals.
The knowledge and skill sets of entomology are essential for the implementation of integrated pest management strategies designed to safely and efficiently produce food for a continuously expanding world population and to control the transmission of insect-borne diseases, while at the same time protecting our environment. Additionally, entomological research can also give us broader insights into the ecology, evolution, and social behavior of animals.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Integrate skills and knowledge to solve problems related to plants, insects, and microbes in natural and managed ecosystems.
- Demonstrate understanding of social, economic, and biophysical aspects of the management of biological problems in natural and managed ecosystems.
- Describe, assess, analyze, and synthesize knowledge from across the curriculum to create solutions for pests and beneficial species in natural and managed ecosystems.
- Promote and practice inclusion to form effective teams that solve complex problems in natural and managed ecosystems.
- Communicate effectively with diverse audiences regarding sustainable pest and pathogen management in natural and managed ecosystems.
Where You’ll Find Us
- Agricultural Biologist & Engineer
- Agricultural Science Research Technician
- Enrollment in Graduate and Professional Schools
- Research Biologist
- Research Entomologist
- State and Federal Government Agencies
- State or National Parks