Do You Want to Improve the Sustainability of our Natural Environment?
Environmental horticulturists provide solutions necessary to achieve aesthetically pleasing, functional, and environmentally sound outdoor spaces. They also design and manage private and public landscapes, such as golf courses, botanical gardens, and parks. In addition, they may develop the entrepreneurial skills necessary to successfully operate a nursery, garden center, tree care, landscape design, and build or landscape management firm. Three concentrations are offered in the Environmental Horticulture major— Landscape Design and Contracting, Nursery and Landscape Management, and Turf Management.
Students will be provided with frequent opportunities for gaining hands-on learning experiences. Students in the program are either required or encouraged to have student internships or apprenticeships. Many students are engaged in independent studies with faculty in lab and field research, and work study/hourly jobs in the field or greenhouse.
what you’ll learn
- Management and leadership skills necessary for a successful career in the green industry
- Technical competencies in their understanding of growth and development of horticultural plants and landscapes, including development as influenced by manipulation of horticulture technologies, such as fertility and water management, and integrated pest management for all aspects of landscape horticulture
- Skills to assess site issues, provide creative environmentally sound solutions and manage designed and built landscapes
- Analytical and problem-solving skills that allow identification of problems related to the management or production of horticultural crops and landscapes, as well as strategies to solve them
Where You’ll Find Us
CSU Horticulture Center
A center for teaching, research and extension for horticulture and landscape programs.
- Business Management
- Botanic Gardens Personnel
- Golf Course Superintendence
- Green Industry Account Management
- Irrigation Design and Water Resource Management
- Landscape Business Management and Entrepreneurship
- Landscape Design and Construction
- Plant Propagation
- Retail and Wholesale Nursery and Garden Center Management
- Sports Turf Management