Skip to content

New Graduate Student Info


We are delighted that you have decided to come to Colorado State University and to our department!  We know you will enjoy your time in Fort Collins and we look forward to getting to know you and help you accomplish your academic goals.


The Graduate School provides useful checklists:

Steps Once Admitted

Steps to Student Degree


Changing your term of admission

The GS1C form is available for a new applicant to either update the term on his/her existing application or, if admitted, to defer to a different term. Please note, each applicant is allowed only ONE FREE change of term request.



Classes begin on August 26, 2019 for the fall semester.

The Graduate School online orientation is available 24/7 at this link.


Horticulture Graduate Admissions Committee Chair

Yaling Qian

Graduate Program Coordinator

Melissa Harmon


Additional things you may need to take care of when you arrive

Establishing residency

Out-of-state students may wish to begin the process of establishing residency.


Email account

The department relies on email to communicate regularly with students.  You will need to set up and access your email account as soon as possible.


Contact information

In addition to keeping the university informed if your contact info changes, please notify Kathi Nietfeld if and when you change your phone number, mailing address or email address.


Locate your snail-mail box

Mailboxes for graduate students are located in the interior hallway off of our main office (Shep 111). Horticulture graduate student mailboxes are in the middle of the hallway in the labeled drawers and M.L.A. students mailboxes are in the gray cabinet at the end of the hallway.  Please check your boxes for department notices and academic information. Be sure to remove any old material.


Have your photo taken

The department maintains a faculty/staff/graduate student picture board in the main hallway of the Shepardson building outside of our office. Stop by Shepardson 111, so that we can take your picture.


Order and pick up your keys

The Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture will issue exterior door keys to the Shepardson building and the graduate computer lab (Shep 123) to all graduate students. Please see Danielle Abeyta for your keys.  All keys must be returned before leaving the program.


Graduate Student Offices

The Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture attempt to supply some Horticulture graduate students with office space. However, space is limited and therefore not everyone will always have an office, and some people will have more desirable office space than others. Priority office space is in Sheparsdon 201. The criteria for allocating offices to graduate students is as follows, except at the discretion of the department, listed from high to low priority:

  • Ph.D. and M.S. students funded as teaching assistants
  • Ph.D. then M.S. students funded by the department or a faculty member who are working on the final phases of their dissertation or thesis
  • Ph.D. then M.S.. students who are funded by the department or a faculty member to conduct research
  • Ph.D. students who have passed all qualifying exams
  • Ph.D. then M.S. students not funded by the department that are working on the final phases of their dissertation or thesis
  • All other Ph.D. students (ordered by tenure)
  • All other M.S. students (ordered by tenure).


Facilities you may need to locate

Interactive campus map


Computer Lab

The graduate student computer lab is located in Shepardson 123. This lab is set up for all College of Agriculture graduate students, however it is used primarly by students in the Horticulture graduate degree program and the Masters of Landscape Architecture program. The equipment, paper and service calls on your computers are paid for by your technical fees. Office supplies are ordered via email through Center for Information Technology, College of Agricultural Sciences, at 491-2444.


Graduate School

The Graduate School is very important as a source of information concerning required forms, financial aid, university graduate school requirements, etc. The Graduate School is located in the Student Services building, directly (NE) across the street from Shepardson.



The Morgan Library. Graduate students may check out books for extended periods of time.


Student Financial Services

Student Financial Services is located in Centennial Hall.


Resources and Opportunities

Employment Postings

Job and Internship postings can be found the bulletin board at the east end of the main hallway in Shepardson and on Career Ram.



Parking permits can be purchased at the Parking Services Office on Lake Street and Center Avenue. Please be aware that Parking Services may be very aggressive about ticketing. For current fees and information please check the Parking Service website or call them at 970 491-7041.


Bicycle Permits

More information on keeping and riding your bike on campus.


Bus Service

Full time students are eligible for semester bus passes for the city’s Transfort Bus system.

Contact CSU Equal Opportunity Privacy Statement Disclaimer

2018 Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 USA