Skip to content


You Have Questions, We Have Answers

Soil and Crop Sciences Advising assists all students with university processes, paperwork, and general advising questions. To schedule an advising appointment, please email Chris Amerman at Chris is located in C138 Plant Sciences and is the main contact for the department.

 Students FAQ’s

How do I declare or change a major/minor?

To change your major/minor or add a minor, please email our undergraduate adviser to make an appointment.

How do I obtain my advising code?

To obtain your advising code, please email our undergraduate adviser to make an advising appointment. However, please note that your advisor will contact you each semester to set up an advising appointment at the appropriate time, given your registration date/time.

What classes are required for my major?

To find out your curriculum requirements, visit the CSU General Catalog, login to your Ram Web account and conduct a degree audit report, or print a checklist sheet from the Soil and Crop Sciences Department website for your specific concentration. There are also a core set of requirements for all Colorado State University students. The All University Core Curriculum requirements are listed in the CSU General Catalog and the specific courses that fulfill each requirement can be found here.

How do I request a course override?

Regular course overrides can be requested from the course instructor only; please contact them directly via email and be sure to let them know your ID number and the section(s) of the course that can fit into your class schedule. Course overrides for SOCR Variable Credit courses such as independent study, practicum or internship courses, are requested from the SOCR department office in C127 Plant Science Building.

How do I take the Math Placement exam?

All entering students are required to take the Colorado State University Mathematics Placement Examination unless they have already earned transferable University credit for a course in college-level mathematics. Additional information can be found here.

If you do not receive an adequate score from your MPE (allowance to register for MATH 117 or higher) please do NOT register for MATH 130. Instead, complete the Entry Level Mathematics Tutorial and then register for MATH 117.

How do I register for classes?

All students are required to register from their RamWeb home page. Click on the ‘registration’ link along the right side of the page. Next, read the information presented and click to proceed. Then, select the term for which you are registering; Fall – September through December, Spring – January through May, and Summer – May through August. For a step by step tutorial on registering via CSU’s system visit this website.

Students are encouraged to send registration questions via email. If you are having trouble or are receiving error messages that you cannot troubleshoot, copy and paste the error message into an email. Be aware that some sections of courses are restricted to specific groups of students; clicking on the CRN or course reference number link will take you to further information about the course including special requirements to register for that section. Furthermore, many classes have required components such as lab and/or recitation in addition to the lecture. If the component is required, you will not be able to register for one component without the others. You must select both or all three components at the same time in order to register for the course.

Again, clicking on the CRN can lead you to important information on the appropriate lab and recitation sections for each lecture section. You can check that you have registered for your desired courses by clicking on the “My Weekly Schedule” button.

How does the waitlist feature work?

When a class you would like to take is full, the first thing you should do is get yourself on the waitlist. Students may sign up for this when they attempt to register for a section that has reached its capacity. Sometimes you will be prompted to join the waitlist. Otherwise, copy the CRN# and enter it into the empty boxes at the bottom of the registration worksheet and click submit changes. You will need to access the drop down box in the table at the top of the screen and select add to waitlist. The first student on the ARIES Registration Waitlist is notified via email or via text message if the student has requested this feature, when a space becomes available. This student then has 24 hours to register for the section. If the student does not register for the section within the 24 hour time frame, they will be dropped from the ARIES Registration Waitlist for that section and the next student on the list will be notified.

You must meet prerequisite requirements to be able to register on the waitlist – you may still need to contact the instructor for a prerequisite override just to be able to get on the waitlist. You can view a Waitlist FAQ sheet here. You may also attempt to get into the class by requesting an override from the instructor.

Many instructors will simply tell you to sign up on the waitlist; however, if you have an extenuating circumstance that might warrant contacting the instructor, keep these tips in mind:

Be sure you can clearly articulate your desire for the override; for example, why you need the course this specific semester, and – be brief!

• If there are multiple sections of the course, include the section number and the CRN number.

• Be sure that in any communication with the instructor, you include your first and last name and CSU ID number.

What is the All University Core Curriculum? What courses can I take to fulfill the AUCC requirements?

The AUCC are the courses that all Colorado State University students have to take, which are meant to provide a solid foundation. To search for AUCC classes go to “Advanced Search” in the registration system and highlight all of the course prefixes using the shift key. Then under “Attribute Type” highlight the AUCC category you’d like to search for. It will bring up an alphabetical list of all the classes offered that semester fulfilling that particular AUCC requirement.

How do I see my Degree Audit Report?

You are expected to have reviewed your Degree Audit Report prior to advising meetings and prepare a tentative list/schedule of courses to be discussed with your advisor during your meeting.

Go to your Ram Web account, and click on My Undergraduate Degree Plan under Records. Then click Run Audit and click View Submitted Results and click on the link. This will show your degree audit report, which lists the classes you have taken and the classes that you still need to complete.

How do my transfer courses apply to CSU? Classes that come up as a number with ++ afterward

If a course that you took at another institution is deemed to be equivalent to a course offered at CSU, then it will transfer in as the CSU prefix and number. If, however, a course is listed with a ++ it means the credits have transferred in to CSU, but there is not a one-to-one match with a CSU course. These are called “wildcards.” Please refer to the Registrar’s website for more information on interpreting transfer courses. There are a few things you should know about wild cards: If you feel the wildcard class is sufficiently similar to a course offered at CSU, you can request to have the course re-evaluated. Contact our SOCR Advisor for more details. If you feel a wildcard class is sufficiently similar to a course required in your program of study, you may consult with our SOCR undergraduate advisor about the feasibility of substituting the wildcard for the required course.

**Unfortunately, the registration system does not recognize wild cards, so if, for instance, you have a wild card Biology class and you are trying to register for a course with a Biology prerequisite, the registration system will give you a prerequisite error as it won’t recognize that you’ve met the required prerequisites. In these instances, you’ll need to contact the course instructor to explain your situation and request an override.

How do I determine if credits will transfer to CSU?

It is not necessary to complete all your coursework at CSU; however, if you want to ensure that the courses you may take or have taken at other institutions will transfer to CSU and count for the degree program you are interested in, please look at the curriculum check sheet of courses required for that major and check how they would/will transfer to CSU using the u.Select system ( As long as courses come from an accredited college or university, are not considered remedial (pre-college level) or trade courses, and you receive a C or above, the credits will transfer in to CSU.

You can also access the Transferology system from the Registrar website or Admissions website. Transferology allows you to input courses that you have taken or are taking and explore a range of majors. You can compare CSU with other institutions or create a course plan to make sure you’re on the right track toward the degree you’re planning to pursue here.  Not every institution has previously been evaluated by our transfer office, so you may not be able to find yours. You’ll be given a table that you can search by selecting the prefix of courses at either institution and viewing their equivalencies. One-to-one matches will be listed as such. If a course is listed with a ++ it means the credits will transfer in to CSU as a “wildcard,” and there is not a one-to-one match with a course here.

If you need additional help navigating the system, contact our undergraduate advisor by email. You can also find specific transfer evaluation information on the Registrar’s website. If you would like an evaluation of your transcripts done before you consider applying to CSU, you can contact the Admissions office and request an unofficial transfer audit. Otherwise, the Transfer Evaluation office will evaluate all transcripts you submit with your application to CSU.

Are there any Tutoring and Academic Success Resources - for general study skills, math, science, composition?

The Institute for Learning and Teaching has a list of tutorial resources and/or academic and study skills workshops.

The Writing Center offers a free, confidential service with no appointment necessary to all writers within the CSU and Fort Collins community. Each session typically lasts about a half hour. They also offer workshops throughout the semester. They are located in Eddy Hall, Room 23; call (970) 491-0222 for more information or visit their website.

Contact CSU Equal Opportunity Privacy Statement Disclaimer

2018 Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 USA