All PGF spaces (greenhouses, growth chambers, labs) are available to CSU-affiliated researchers via PGF User Space Request QR Code or here: Space Requests
Requests are on a first-come, first serve basis and users are encouraged to request space before the beginning of each semester.
Space allocation is determined by the greenhouse manager. Prospective users are encouraged to contact the greenhouse manager early on to discuss space needs and complete a space request form. Verbal discussion or email requests are not considered official reservations. The greenhouse manager can assist in determining the correct amount of space needed for project. The minimum amount of bench space to request is 1/4th of a bench (about 53ft2). It is recommended to reserve more space than anticipated. additional bench space is not a guarantee.
Growth chambers space requests are based per chamber. Due to limited supply and high demand of growth chambers, “squatting” in chambers is not permitted. Users must be conducting active research in all PGF-owned chambers. If a chamber is found to be empty for 3 consecutive months, the reservation is subject to termination.
Rates and Fees
Facility usage rates and fees are necessary in order to cover our operating, repair and maintenance expenses.
Greenhouse rates are a flat rate across all greenhouse bays (main facility and biosecurity ‘south houses’) and charged by the 1/4th bench unit. Growth chamber rates are flat across all growth chambers
Monthly Rates-FY 22
Main and South greenhouse Rate: $30 per 1/4th bench
Growth Chamber Rate: $200/month
EGC walk-in Rate: $400/month
Once you have been assigned space, all users must complete annual Worker Protection Standard (WPS) training and attend an on-site orientation before access is approved. Once completed, access will be activated within 24-hours. Users must plan ahead to complete training requirements, day-of training is no longer provided. More details coming soon!
Services and Supplies
As part of the user fee, PGF offers services and supplies to facilitate efficient and effective research. Below are a few services we offer.
- Repair and maintenance of greenhouse & growth chamber equipment-shade, pad wall, exhaust fans, benches, etc.
- Manual closing of vents during high wind forecasts and subzero temperature
- Greenhouse, warehouse and growth chamber cleaning – sweeping, trash and compost removal, filter changes
- Annual deep cleaning of greenhouses-pressure washing, disinfecting, etc.
- Washing and UV sterilization of 1-gallon pots – users must bring dirty pots to dirty pot rack in warehouse
- Pest Management-biological and chemical
- Environmental control, set-point adjustments and seasonal photoperiod adjustment
- Autoclaving of materials in main PGF facility and non-transgenic material –
- Refilling and cleaning of south house footbaths
- Basic irrigation system set-up
- Greenhouse and growth chamber light bulb repair/replacements
Items are for current, fee-paying PGF facility users. Non-fee paying labs are welcome to purchase supplies for a fee.
- Promix potting mix (HP & BX)-use potting mix in white bins first
- Soil amendments (perlite, vermiculite, greensgrade-located in white bins)
- 2”, 3.5”, 4” square pots, 1 & 2 gallon round pots, 1” & 2” conetainers
- Humidity Domes (small & large)
- 1801 flats and inserts (webbed, with holes and no holes)
- Slow-release fertilizer (Osmocote)
- 200 ppm diluted fertilizer (15-5-15)
- White plant labels
- Nitrile Gloves, dust masks
- Bamboo stakes of various sizes
- Misc. tools (short-term use only)
- Hoses, watering wands and watering cans
- Dosatron fertigation
- Assorted specialized research equipment (scales, EC meter, etc)
- Carts & wagons (short term only, must be returned by the end of day)
Amenities Available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Material must be clearly labeled with lab, date & content.
- Drying Oven (25C)
- Mist benches (112a and 104 greenhouses-contact PGF for available location)
- Warehouse Storage (for long-term researchers only)
- Cold rooms (2.4C/2C)
- Soil & Plant Grinding rooms (103C & B)
Other services (see PGF for details/requests, fees may apply)
- Plant Propagation
- Conservatory Plant Lending
- Special Orders
- Weekend/holiday watering