Major in Environmental and Natural Resource Economics
Do You Want to Improve the Management and Sustainability of our Natural Resources and Environment?
The Major in Environmental and Natural Resource Economics prepares students to apply economic tools to evaluate the allocation and utilization of natural resources and the management of the natural environment. Economic analysis provides a strong basis to guide societal choices that directly and indirectly affect our environment. Economic theory provides a framework for understanding both environmental and natural resource issues, predicting the likely effects of government policies and regulations, and devising solutions to pressing economic and environmental problems.
As an ENRE major, get hands on experience weighing the private and public implications of economic choices that we make ranging from local to global in scale. This major pairs well with other majors and minors throughout the university as well.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Technical competency including appropriate use of economic theory in formulating analytical problems, identifying and gathering appropriate data, and employing appropriate economic methods to analyze those problems, utilizing appropriate available computer technology.
- Ability to solve real-world problems beyond the pedagogical context. Students will be able to identify a problem and its scope, evaluate resources available to address the problem, formulate alternative solutions, and select the solution(s) most consistent with a stated objective.
- Proficiency in oral and written communication including the ability to communicate critically and analytically at a professional level.
Where You’ll Find Us
- Natural Resources
- Community Development Specialist
- Cooperative Education Opportunities
- Economic Analyst/Forecaster
- Energy/Water Resource Analyst
- Environmental Pollution Analyst
- Environmental Researcher/Analyst
- Extension Agent
- Foreign Trade Analyst
- International Development Specialist
- Land Use Planner
- Market Forecaster
- Natural Resource Analyst
- Resource Policy Analyst
- Rural Community Organizer