Organic Agriculture Interdisciplinary Minor
Do You Want to Improve the Nutritional Sustainability of our Food Systems and Food Security?
Horticulture students study the scientific principles of growing, marketing, processing, and utilizing of fruits, vegetables, flower and foliage plants, trees, shrubs, and turf grasses. Horticulture is both a production and service industry and meeting the nutritional needs of the world population is a growing need. Well-educated horticulturists have the best opportunity for obtaining positions and moving up in the industry. Learn the science of organic agriculture with additional courses specifically focused on organic agriculture production techniques, business management, marketing, and decision making.
Students will be provided with frequent opportunities for gaining hands-on learning experiences. Students in the program are either required or encouraged to have student internships or apprenticeships. Many students are engaged in independent studies with faculty in lab and field research, and work study/hourly jobs in the field or greenhouse.
Visit the CSU Course Catalog to learn more about courses and minor requirments.
What You’ll Learn
- Technical competence that includes understanding plant growth and development as influenced by the manipulations of horticulture technologies such as greenhouse management, fertility management, integrated pest management, etc.
- Management and leadership skills that will allow them to become an entry-level supervisor in a specific business or research program.
- Problem solving skills such as identifying the significance of a problem, researching realistic solutions using current literature, and organizing the materials to develop appropriate recommendations and actions.
Where You’ll Find Us
CSU Horticulture Center
A center for teaching, research and extension for horticulture and landscape programs.
- Business Management
- Food Crops
- Extension Specialist
- Fruit and Vegetable Producer
- Greenhouse Production Specialist
- Horticultural Therapist
- Plant Breeder