It is our policy to respond quickly to requests.
- Over 100 requests for >5,000 museum specimens are filled yearly
- Our material has been used in over 75 taxonomic revisions in the past 2 years
- Approximately 100 researchers visit the Collection annually
Material for thesis research by graduate students is usually sent in care of the candidate’s major advisor.
- The usual length of the loan is 24 months
- All loans may be renewed when justified and requested in writing
- Exchange of duplicates is encouraged
- If new species are described from our material, paratypes are to be returned and the holotype is deposited in the United States National Museum
Relationship similar collections based on utilization the past five years
- Our response time to loan requests is usually within two weeks of the initial request
- Our Collection is available for in-house study without restrictions to visiting workers
- We have a present, exchange and loan arrangement with all major collections
- The Department and personnel have not charged for identification or lending service in the past and have no such plans in the future
Assurance of Compliance with Legislation for Protection of Endangered Species
- The administration and curator of this institution are providing here assurance that preserved materials of endangered species will be handled in Compliance with the Endangered Species Act, Lacey Act and the Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora. Dr. Paul A. Opler, National Biological Survey is very familiar with these acts and will provide advice
Submit Loan Application
Please complete and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.