Undergraduate Student Resources

Advising and Support

We are here to help you on every step of your Horticulture and Landscape Architecture education at CSU. Each program is unique and our advisors specialize in your specific need. Follow the link that best describes your degree type to get the support and information you need.

For Current Students

If you are already enrolled as a student additional resources and department related activities are available through the HLA Intranet Portal.

Login with your CSU eID

Undergraduate Student Success Team

Our Academic Success Coordinators can address a variety of advising-related questions, assist students with managing their degree programs, and be a resource in navigating university processes.

Advisers for all HLA Majors

We offer advising to students in the horticulture, environmental horticulture, and landscape architecture majors. And minors in horticulture, environmental horticulture, and organic agriculture.

Bria Gallegos

Bria Gallegos

Academic Success Coordinator

Last Names A-K
Nutrien Agricultural Sciences Building
Room 283

Katherine Isaacson

Katherine Isaacson

Academic Success Coordinator

Last Names: L-Z
Nutrien Agricultural Sciences Building,
Room 284

Advisers for Online HLA Majors

Amy Quinn-Sparks

Amy Quinn-Sparks

Academic Success Coordinator
CSU Online Horticulture Major

Cheylan Beaver

Cheylan Beaver

Academic Success Coordinator
CSU Online Horticulture Major

Undergraduate Degree Programs

Environmental Horticulture


Browse Degree Program Page



  • Controlled Environment Horticulture Concentration
  • Horticultural Business Management Concentration
  • Horticultural Science Concentration
  • Horticultural Food Crops Concentration

Browse Degree Program Page

Landscape Architecture

Our program is accredited by the Landscape Architecture Accreditation Board of the ASLA. Browse the ASLA website for information about becoming a landscape architect.

Browse Degree Program Page


Sarah Wilhelm

Sarah Wilhelm

HLA Internship Cordinator
By appointment only
Plant Growth Facility
(970) 491-7679

What are HLA Internships?

An internship is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths. Internships also give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent.

All students in the Environmental Horticulture major and most in the Horticulture major are required to complete a qualified internship and enroll in HORT 487 – Internship for academic credit as a part of their curriculum.

Students: schedule an appointment with Internship Coordinator Sarah Wilhelm

You can find all the necessary internship forms on the HLA intranet.

Sign in using your NetID

college student planting shrubs

Other Internship Resources


CSU Scholarship Application

  • The CSUSA is a competitive online scholarship application for many of the scholarships at CSU. Scholarships are available in all class levels including: entering freshmen, undergraduates, transfer, 2nd bachelor’s, graduate students. Applications are reviewed based on your academic record as well as your answers to the questions on the application.
  • Opens on October 1st and the Deadline is March 1st
  • Accessible through RAMweb

Horticulture and Landscape Architecture Student Clubs

Visit the College of Agricultural Sciences Clubs and Committees page to learn about other clubs in the College that may be of interest to you.

Hort Club

The origins of our club dates back to the 1920’s. We have a rich history and are actively creating opportunities for our student members.

Josh Craver

Phi Alpha Xi

Our clubs mission is to promote high scholarship, fellowship, professional leadership and the enrichment of human life through plants.

Josh Craver

Student Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects

We are committed to promoting professionalism through leadership, education, and engagement.

Kelli Curl

Students of Landscape Design and Contracting

Our members get involved with the environmental horticulture industry.

Zach Johnson

Visit the College of Agricultural Sciences Clubs and Committees page to learn about other clubs in the College that may be of interest to you.

Career Resources

We have a career resources specialist dedicated to the College of Agricultural Sciences. Our specialist understands how the Horticulture, Environmental Horticulture, and Landscape Architecture programs play a larger role in our evolving workforce.

three students talking to horticulture professional<br />
Sam Holtshouser

Sam Holtshouser

Career Education Manager
(970) 491-3721

Please schedule an appointment with Sam Holtshouser through Handshake, or visit the Career Resources webpage.

Frequently Asked Questions and Useful Links

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for classes?

Visit the Registrars Office website to get answers to your questions about registering for classes.

How do I get my advising code?

Please schedule an advising appointment with your adviser to get your advising code. You may also receive a link to schedule an appointment in an email invitation from your adviser prior to registration periods.

You can also visit the Registrars Office Website to learn more about advising codes. 

How do I declare or change my major or minor?

We are happy to answer questions and help you decide if adding or changing a major or minor will work for you. To get started we just need an email from you!

Majors in Horticulture / Environmental Horticulture / Landscape Architecture

Please email katherine.isaacson@colostate.edu

Minors in Horticulture / Environmental Horticulture / Organic Agriculture

Please email katherine.isaacson@colostate.edu

You can see your own progress toward meeting those requirements by viewing your Degree Progress Audit in Ram Web.

How do I request a course override?

Course overrides for most courses must be requested from the instructor. Please email to instructor directly to request your override and be sure to let them know your name, your CSU ID, the reason for your request, and the specific section(s) of the course you want.

The following courses require additional paperwork, contact the faculty member directly.

  • HORT 384 Supervised College Teaching
  • HORT 486B General Practicum
  • HORT 495 Independent Study
  • HORT 496 Group Study
  • LAND 384 Supervised College Teaching
  • LAND 495A Independent Study
  • LAND 495B Independent Study
  • LAND 496 Group Study

How do I use the Math Placement Tool?

Most students are required to use the Colorado State University Mathematics Placement Tool.

What do do if you don’t get an adequate score your MPE to register for MATH 117 or higher.

Please do NOT register for MATH 101 or 105.
Instead, complete the Entry Level Mathematics Tutorial and then plan to register for MATH 117.

What is the All University Core Curriculum? What courses can I take to fulfill AUCC requirements?

All-University Core Curriculum requirements provide a solid foundation for undergraduate studies for all CSU students. The AUCC requirements are listed in the CSU General Catalog, and you can find specific courses that fulfill each requirement here as well.

To search current offerings of AUCC classes in the Registration system on RAMweb, use “Advanced Search” and highlight all of the course prefixes. Then under “Attribute Type” highlight the AUCC Category you want to search/satisfy. RAMweb will bring up an alphabetical list of all classes offered that semester fulfilling that particular AUCC requirement.

How do I run my Degree Progress Audit?

  1. Log into your RAMweb account, and click on Menu at top right.
  2. Select Academic Planning & Progress.
  3. Then select Degree Progress Audit.
  4. Click Request an Audit, and then click Run Declared Program to see results based on your current major.

If you wish to view results for a different major click Run Different Program and use the drop down menus to make your selection.

Your degree progress audit report lists the classes you have taken, your “in-progress” coursework, and the classes that you still need to complete in your program.

You are expected to have reviewed your Degree Audit Report prior to advising meetings and prepare a tentative list/schedule of courses to be discussed with your adviser during your meeting.

How do waitlists work?

Visit the Registrars Office website to get information about registration and waitlists.

Please note, you will only be able to waitlist for the smaller lab and/or recitation sections for courses that have linked components.

Are there any Tutoring and Academic Success Resources on campus?

Here are links to campus resources

  • The Institute for Learning and Teaching learning programs offer tutoring, study groups, workshops, and other learning resources.
  • The Eagle Feather Tutoring Program  is a free tutoring service for math and science courses available to students on a walk-in or appointment basis at the Native American Cultural Center office.